AJAYI, Olukayode S., PhD.
Rank: Senior Lecturer
Office: Room. 131 Part II Chemistry Laboratory (First Floor, White House), Department of Chemistry, OAU, Ile-Ife.
Area of Specialization / Research Interest: Organic Chemistry/Natural Products Chemistry
Dr. Ajayi started his academic career as an Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Chemistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria in December 2006. He became Lecturer II in October 2012. He was awarded the 2011 TETFund Academic Staff Training and Development Grant to visit Prof. R.R.T. Majinda’s Phytochemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana, in March, 2013 to carry out some aspect of his PhD research work. He returned in August, 2013. He was promoted to Lecturer I and Senior Lecturer in October 2015 and October 2018, respectively. Dr. Ajayi has served either as supervisor or co-supervisor of six (6) students at master’s level and one (1) PhD student. He is a member of some professional bodies such as Chemical Society of Nigeria (CSN), Institute of Public Analysts of Nigeria (IPAN), Western Africa Network of Natural Products Research Scientists (WANNPRES)
Some recent publications:
- Ajayi, O. S., Balogun, O. S., Olawuni, J. I., October, N., Adigun, R. and Akinlade, I. G. (2021) Alpha amylase inhibition and antioxidant activities of bicyclic diterpenoid lactones from Andrographis paniculata. Tropical Journal of Natural Product Research, 5(6): 1110-1117. DOI: http://www.doi.org/10.26538/tjnpr/v5i6.22.
- Balogun, O. S., Ajayi, O. S., Owolabi, T. A., Oladimeji, A. O. and Liu, Z. (2021). Chemical constituents and antibacterial activity of Cissus Letters in Organic Chemistry, 18(4): 281-286. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2174/1570178617999200609130127. (UAE).
- Adeniran, A. A., Sonibare, M. A., Ajayi, O. S., Rajacharya, G. H. and Kumar, S. (2020). Antioxidant activity of columns fractions and caryatin isolated from ethyl acetate extracts of Dioscorea hirtiflora Tropical Journal of Natural Products Research, 4(7): 276-281. DOI: https://doi.org/10.26538/tjnpr/v4i7.4. (Nigeria).
- Ajayi, O. S., Aderogba, M. A., Akinkunmi, E. O., Obuotor, E. M., and Majinda, R. R. T. (2020). Bioactive compounds from Nauclea latifolia leaf extracts. Journal of King Saud University-Science, 32(4): 2419-2425. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jksus.2020.03.031. (Saudi Arabia).
- Adesanwo J. K., Ajayi, I. S., Ajayi, O. S., Igbeneghu, O. A. and McDonald, A. G. (2019). Identification of chemical constituents and evaluation of the antibacterial activity of methanol extract and fractions of leaf of Melanthera scandens (Schum. et Thonn.) Roberty. Journal of Exploratory Research in Pharmacology, 4(3): 031–040. DOI:10.14218/JERP.2019.00007. (USA).
- Balogun, O. S., Ajayi, O. S. and Kolawole, R. F. (2019). Chemical constituents and cytotoxic activity of stem-bark extract of Calophyllum inophyllum. Ife Journal of Science, 21(2): 411-416. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.4314/ijs.v21i2.14. (Nigeria).
- Ajayi, O. S., Aderogba, M. A., Obuotor, E. M. and Majinda, R. R. T. (2019). Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor from Anthocleista vogelii leaf extracts. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 231: 503-506. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2018.11.009. (The Netherlands).
- Ajayi, O. S., Aderogba, M. A., Obuotor, E. M. and Majinda, R. R. T (2017). Antioxidant activities of the extracts and isolated compounds from Treculia africana (Decne) leaf. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine, 21(1): 32-38. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.4314/njnpm.v21i1.5. (Nigeria).