Mutalib A. ADEROGBA
Office: Room CH 121, 1st Floor, White House, Department of Chemistry, O.A. U. Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Area of Specialization/ Research Interest: Natural Products Chemistry
I obtained a Ph.D. (Phytochemistry/ Medicinal Natural Products) degree from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria in 2003. This was followed by postdoctoral research training under:
(i) Prof J.N. Ellof (University of Pretoria, South Africa, 2005-2006)
(ii) Prof B.M. Abegaz (University of Botswana, Botswana, 2007)
(iii) Prof J. Van Staden (University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, 2012-2013).
My research interest is on isolation and characterization of bioactive secondary metabolites from natural sources. We have extensively reported antiradical (antioxidant), acetyl cholinesterase and alpha-glucosidase inhibitors from medicinal plants and marine algae that are used in management of oxidative stress related diseases. In addition, we have investigated medicinal plants that are used in treatment of infectious diseases for their bioactive constituents.
My current research is on isolation of phenolic constituents from Nigerian medicinal plants that could be useful in the management of neurodegenerative disorders.
Selected Published Journals Articles:
(1) Rosemary C. Erhabor, Mutalib A. Aderogba, Joseph O. Erhabor, Sanah M. Nkadimeng, Lyndy J. McGaw (2021). In vitro bioactivity of the fractions and isolated compound from Combretum elaeagnoides leaf extract against selected foodborne pathogens. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 273: 113981
(2) Folashade A. Ogunrinade, Stephanie T. Guetchueng, Folashade O. Katola, Mutalib A. Aderogba, Idowu S. Akande, Satyajit D. Sarker and Olumayokun A. Olajide (2021). Zanthoxylum zanthoxyloides inhibits lipopolysaccharide- and synthetic hemozoin-induced neuroinflammation in BV-2 microglia: roles of NFκB transcription factor and NLRP3 inflammasome activation. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 73:118-134.
(3) Ajayi, O.S., Aderogba, M.A., Obuotor, E. M., Akinkunmi, E.O., Majinda, R.R.T. (2020). Bioactive Compounds from Nauclea latifolia Leaf Extracts. Journal of King Saud University – Science 32: 2419-2425.
(4) O. S. Ajayi, M. A. Aderogba, E.M. Obuotor, R. R. T. Majinda (2019). Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor from Anthocleista vogelii Leaf Extracts. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 231: 503–506.
(5) M. A. Aderogba, B. Madikizela, L. J. McGaw (2019). Bioactive constituents from Malvastrum coromandelianum (L.) Garcke leaf extracts. South African Journal of Botany, 126: 317-376.
(6) Ravikanth Velagapudi, Olusiji O. Ajileye, Uchechukwu Okorji, Priya Jain, Mutalib A. Aderogba, Olumayokun A. Olajide (2018). Agathisflavone isolated from Anacardium occidentale suppresses SIRT1‐mediated neuroinflammation in BV2 microglia and neurotoxicity in APPSwe‐transfected SH‐SY5Y cells. Phytotherapy Research, 32: 1957–1966.
(7) Aladejare, T. T., Obuotor, E. M. and Aderogba, M. A., (2018). Isolation and characterization of antioxidant compound from Annona senegalensis leaf extracts. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine, 22: 124-128.
(8) Akinpelu, B. A., Godwin, A., Aderogba M. A., Makinde A. M., Azeez S. O., Oziegbe, M. (2018). Evaluation of anti-inflammatory and genotoxicity potentials of the fractions of Archidium ohioense (Schimp. ex Mull) Extract. Ife Journal of Science, 20: 487-496.
(9) S. C. Pendota, M. A. Aderogba, M. Moyo, L. J. McGaw, R. B. Mulaudzi, J. Van Staden. (2017). Antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxicity of isolated compounds from leaves of Pappea capensis. South African Journal of Botany, 108: 272–277.
(10) Ajayi, O. S., Aderogba, M. A., Obuotor, E. M., Majindar, R. R. T. (2017). Antioxidant activities of the extracts and isolated compounds from Treculia africana (Decne) leaf. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine, 21:32-38.