Name: Mutalib Adeniran ADEROGBA
Office: Room 121. (1st Floor,White house), Department of Chemistry, OAU, Ile-Ife.
Phone: +234803 581 5107
OAU Scholar link:
Mutalib Aderogba is a Professor at the Department of Chemistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, where he obtained his MSc (Chemistry) in 2008 and PhD (Chemistry), in 2003 in the area of Natural Products Chemistry. He had his Postdoctoral studies at the University of Pretoria, South Africa (2005- 2006) and University of Botswana, Gaborone (2008). He was a visiting Scientist to the Research Centre for Plant Growth and Development (RCPGD), University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa (2012-2013). His research interest is in Chemistry and Biological activities of plants and marine algae that are used in traditional medicine for the management of infectious and oxidative stress related diseases. He received the following awards:
(i) Faculty of Science, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, most productive Scholar of the year in 2013.
(ii) National Prize for Young Scientists in Chemical Sciences in 2014 (Nigerian Young Academy Award).
He has published over fifty articles in reputable local and international journals with about nine hundred citations. He has supervised one PhD and ten MSc students. He is a member of the following professional bodies:
(i) Royal Society of Chemistry –United Kingdom
(ii) American Chemical Society –U.S.A.
(iii) West African Network of Natural Products Research Scientists (WANNPRES)
(iv) Chemical Society of Nigeria
Area of Specialization / Research Interest: Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry
- C. Pendota, M.A. Aderogba, M. Moyo, L.J. McGaw, R.B. Mulaudzi, J. Van Staden. (2017). Antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxicity of isolated compounds from leaves of Pappea capensis. South African Journal of Botany 108: 272–277.
- C. Pendota, M.A. Aderogba, J. Van Staden (2015). In vitro antimicrobial activity of extracts and an isolated compound from Boscia albitrunca leaves. South African Journal of Botany 96: 91–93.
- S. Falade, A.A. Adeyanju and M.A. Aderogba (2015). Stabilization of groundnut oil with natural antioxidants extracted from Bauhinia species and Piliostigma reticulatum. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 39: 2142-2151.
- O. Ajileye, E.M. Obuotor , E.O. Akinkunmi, M.A. Aderogba (2015). Isolation and characterization of antioxidant and antimicrobial compounds from Anacardium occidentale L. (Anacardiaceae) leaf extract. Journal of King Saud University – Science 27: 244–252.
- Anyim Godwin, B. A. Akinpelu, A. M. Makinde, A. Aderogba and O. O. Oyedapo(2015). Identification of n-Hexane Fraction Constituents of Archidium ohioense (Schimp. ex Mull) Extract Using GC-MS Technique. British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 6: 366-375.
- Madikizela, M.A. Aderogba, J.F. Finnie, J. Van Staden (2014). Isolation and characterization of antimicrobial compounds from Terminalia phanerophlebia Engl. & Diels leaf extracts. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 156: 228–234.
- Ravikanth Velagapudi, Mutalib Aderogba, Olumayokun A. Olajide (2014). Tiliroside, a dietary glycosidic flavonoid, inhibits TRAF-6/NF-κB/p38-mediated neuroinflammation in activated BV2 microglia. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1840: 3311–3319.
- A. Aderogba, L.J. McGaw, V.P. Bagla, J.N. Eloff, B.M. Abegaz (2014). In vitro antifungal activity of the acetone extract and two isolated compounds from the weed, Pseudognaphalium luteoalbum. South African Journal of Botany 94: 74–78.
- Kannan R. R. Rengasamy, Mutalib A. Aderogba, Stephen O. Amoo, Wendy A. Stirk, Johannes Van Staden (2014). Macrocystis angustifolia is a potential source of enzyme inhibitors linked to type 2 diabetes and dementia. Journal of Applied Phycology 26:1557–1563.
- C. Pendota, M.A. Aderogba, A.R. Ndhlala, J. Van Staden (2013). Antimicrobial and acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activities of Buddleja salviifolia (L). Lam. leaf extracts and isolated compounds. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 148: 515-520.
- Balungile Madikizela, Mutalib A. Aderogba and Johannes Van Staden (2013). Isolation and characterization of antimicrobial constituents of Searsia chirindensis (Anacardiaceae) leaf extracts. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 150: 609–613.
- Mutalib A. Aderogba, Ashwell R. Ndhlala, Kannan RR. Rengasamy and Johannes Van Staden (2013). Antimicrobial and Selected In Vitro Enzyme Inhibitory Effects of Leaf Extracts, Flavonols and Indole Alkaloids Isolated from Croton menyharthii. Molecules 18: 12633-12644.
- Mutalib A. Aderogba, Ashwell R. Ndhlala and Johannes Van Staden (2013). Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors from Croton sylvaticus ethyl acetate leaf extract and their mutagenic effects. Natural Product Communications 8(6):795-798.
- R.R. Kannan, M. A. Aderogba, A. R. Ndhlala, W. A. Stirk, J. Van Staden (2013). Acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity of phlorotannins isolated from the brown alga, Ecklonia maxima(Osbeck) Papenfuss. Food Research International 54:1250-1254
- Kannan R.R. Rengasamy, Mutalib A. Aderogba, Amoo S.O, Wendy A.Stirk, Johannes Van Staden (2013). Potential antiradical and alpha-glucosidase inhibitors from Ecklonia maxima (Osbeck) Papenfuss. Food Chemistry 141:1412-1415.
- A. Aderogba, A. R. Ndhlala, J. Van Staden (2013). Acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity and mutagenic effects of Croton penduliflorus leaf extract constituents. South African Journal of Botany 87:48-51.
- Ndhlala, A.R., Aderogba, M.A., Ncube, B., Van Staden, J. (2013). Anti-Oxidative and Cholinesterase Inhibitory Effects of Leaf Extracts and Their Isolated Compounds from Two Closely Related CrotonMolecules 18: 1916-1932.
- A. Olajide, M. A. Aderogba, Bernd L. Fiebich (2013). Mechanisms of anti-inflammatory property of Anacardium occidentalestem bark: Inhibition of NF-κB and MAPK signalling in the microglia. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 145: 42-49.
- A. Olajide,M. A. Aderogba, U. P. Okorji, and B. L. Fiebich (2012). Bridelia ferruginea Produces Antineuroinflammatory Activity through Inhibition of Nuclear Factor-kappa B and p38 MAPK Signalling. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2012:546873, 1-8.
- A. Aderogba, G. D. Kapche and W.T. Mabusela (2012). Isolation and Characterization of Antioxidative constituents of Ceiba pentandra (kapok) leaf extract. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine 17:86-90.
- Aderogba, M.A., Kgatle, D.T., McGaw, L.J. and Eloff, J.N. (2012). Isolation of antioxidant constituents from Combretum apiculatum Apiculatum. South African Journal of Botany 79:125-131.
- A. Aderogba, E.O. Akinkunmi and W.T. Mabusela (2011). Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of flavonoid glycosides from Dennettia tripetala g. baker leaf extract. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine 15: 49-52.
- Aderogba, M. A., McGaw, J., Bezabih M.and Abegaz B.M. (2011). Isolation and characterization of novel antioxidant constituent of Croton zambesicus leaf extract. Natural Product Research 25:1224-1233.
- S. Teffo, M.A. Aderogba and J.N. Eloff (2010). Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of four kaempferol methyl ethers isolated from Dodonaea viscosa Jacq. var. angustifolia leaf extracts. South African Journal of Botany 76: 25 – 29.
- Nchu, M.A. Aderogba, L.K. Mdee and J.N. Eloff (2010). Isolation of anti-Candida albicans compounds from Markhamia obtusifolia (Baker) Sprague (Bignoniaceae). South African Journal of Botany 76:54 – 57.
- Aderogba, A., McGaw, L.J., Bezabih, B.T. and Abegaz, B.M. (2009). Antioxidant activity and Cytotoxicity study of Leucaena leucocephala (Lam.) de Wit leaf extracts constituents. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine 13:65-68.
- Falade, O.S., Aderogba, A., Kehinde, O., Akinpelu,B.A., Oyedapo, B.O. and Adewusi,S.R.A. (2009). Studies on the Chemical Constituents, Antioxidant and Membrane Stability Activities of Hibiscus rosa sinensis. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine 13:58-64.
- Shai, L.J., McGaw, L.J., Aderogba, A., Mdee, L.K. and Eloff, J.N. (2008). Four Pentacyclic triterpenoids with antifungal and antibacterial activity from Curtisia dentata (Burm.f) C.A.Sm leaves. Journal of Ethnopharmacoclogy 119:238-244.
- Falade, O.S., Adekunle, A.S., Aderogba, A., Atanda, S.O., Harwood, C. and Adewusi, S.R. (2008). Physicochemical properties, total phenol and tocopherol of some Acacia seed oils. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 88: 263 – 268.
- Aderogba, A., McGaw, L.J., Ogundaini, A.O. and Eloff, J.N. (2008). Cytotoxicity study of antioxidant flavonoids from Bauhinia tomentosa leaf extract. Nigerian Journal of Natural Products and Medicine 12: 50 –54.